Does anyone else have a bag or box of bags of grocery bags that are overflowing, but you don’t want to get rid of any because you never know what you’re going to actually need every single one of them and then not have them? I’ve actually run out before… but not for a long time because I HOARD them. I know it’s a dirty word, but I feel better that I said it.
Now however I can at least have them in an attractive space, and this actually keeps them more condensed and I am able to put more in less space…. go figure?? Please see the video below for a demonstration of it in action and a quick how to instructional video.
- Cut off Jeans legs, or some other material that you’d like to see every day
- Needle or Sewing Machine
- Ribbon/Elastic String in 1/8 inch variety
- Ribbon or fabric strap for the top (The one in the video is 2 inches wide.)
- Anything else you want to decorate it with (I embroidered a Mickey Patch that came pre-installed on my Brother machine to use as an appliqué.)
- I had been gifted some jeans legs that were cut off an unsuspecting pair of jeans pants to make them shorts a while ago from a friend. I ran across them in my stash while trying to figure out what to make my holder from. Inspiration struck!!! So I gathered my supplies and went to work!
- First I used my sewing machine to put a 1/4 inch hem on the cut edge of the legs. I then added a decorative border there and one a little farther down to add some panache.
- Next I attached the 2 inch wide ribbon to the top with a zigzag stitch making sure to back stitch beginning and end of each side.
- After that was complete I took an upholstery type needle with a blunt flat head (I’m not sure what it’s called sorry… though it is pictured in the video) and strung my 1/8 inch wide ribbon (or you could use string or elastic string) through the hem of the jeans, pulled tight and tied it shut. It will leave a hole since with the amount of denim there’s no way to get it completely shut using this method, but it will hold your bags with no problems.
- Then I took the time to hand appliqué on the Mickey head to make it look a little less plain.
Side note: After I was done with creating 2 of these amazing tools… my husband (who is not very creative, his self confession) asked why I hadn’t added a way to hang it to the towel rack in the kids’ bathroom for their trash? Excellent question honey… because you didn’t bring it up before now… and I didn’t think of it. Stinker! What a great idea!!! I’ll have to try that in the next go around!
Please feel free to visit our Facebook page and post pictures if you make a grocery bag holder. We would love to see what you come up with!!!
Have a great day, and keep creating!!