This is a project that my kids love!! I did this as a party activity at my daughter’s 5th birthday, and it was a huge success!!! It’s fairly easy, but for a party it requires a bit of prep if you are doing it with younger kids. I had a wide variety of ages so I had it all ready other than the actual string on the thumb tacks, and everyone took them home.
I did over prep a little, and by that I mean I still have left over blocks of painted wood with the star thumb tack patterns from the party, but I don’t regret doing it in advance. 😊
- Wood cut into a pattern you desire.
- Paint in a color you desire and finish you desire.
- Thumb tacks in the finish you want and amount you need for the pattern picked.
- Pattern picked
- Tack hammer if you have a hard time pushing the tacks in based on what type of wood is chosen.
- Crochet thread in desired color(s) or embroidery thread in desired color(s)
- Washi tape (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Cut wood to desired size and pattern.
- Paint wood block, and allow to dry.
- Add tacks in desired pattern to wood. Use a hammer if needed to secure the tacks.
- Put a slip knot in your thread and attach to a tack. String in the desired pattern. Tie off the string to a tack and cut the thread.
- Secure thumb tacks by hammering or pushing them all the way down.
- Decorate if desired with ribbon and/or washi tape.
- Enjoy by putting up in your home or giving as a gift.
Bye for now, but don’t forget to keep creating!!!