This week my son’s teacher gave out some work that our 5 and 6 year old children really enjoyed; so I wanted to share it with our followers. It is a great boredom buster that engages with the alphabet for Kindergarten aged children and under. One of the days the directions were to Read and/or listen to: Alphabet Mystery by Audrey Wood and Bruce Wood (Link: https://youtu.be/XnWS0Ponl80) Then to continue the learning we played a sort of musical chairs type game. But, instead of people getting out….letters were out when the music stopped….See instructions below.
Musical Alphabet Game to the Freeze Dance song (https://youtu.be/2UcZWXvgMZE) or another song.
- Letter flashcards or write letters on index cards, post-it notes, or paper
- Access to play a YouTube song (linked above) or another song that you can randomly freeze with a remote or button.
- Arrange letters in a large circle (not in alphabetical order).
- Turn on some music and have your child walk around the circle.
- Stop music and have your child identify the letter they stopped on.
- Practice the sound of the letter. (modification if student is not yet identifying letters, this game can be played identifying less than all 26 letters)
I hope this helps get you a little sanity in our not so sane lives right now for those that are either taking care of or helping take care of younger children.
Keep on creating great moments and things!!!